Monday, February 16, 2015

Bible Doctrine – Bibliology and the Men God Used

Well, now that we have established that we believe in the plenary verbal inspiration of the Bible, let’s take a quick look at the men that God used to write the Bible. The Bible says of itself that it was written by holy men of God as they were moved by the Spirit of God.

2 Peter 1:21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

These men wrote of things that they could not have possibly known or understood. Of course, I’ve graded a few research papers over the years that were clearly written by students who did not adequately know or understand their subject matter. Of course, I still see examples every day on social media of people who don’t have a clue as to what they are writing about as well.

It reminds me of a time when I had a plumber tell me after he had found that I had tried to fix something before I called him say, “Everybody wants to be a plumber.” Well, I might add to that that everybody seems to think they are a theologian as well. I digress.

For example, Moses wrote about something he clearly was not there to see and certainly did not fully understand when he penned Genesis. Of course, I am fully aware of the critical views of skeptics like Wellhausen and the Documentary Hypothesis, but to even imply that is to dismiss the Apostle Paul and Jesus himself of being confused on the issue as well.

Daniel wrote of things that he clearly did not understand.

Daniel 12:8-9 Although I heard, I did not understand. Then I said, "My lord, what shall be the end of these things?" And he said, "Go your way, Daniel, for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.”

On the other hand, they also wrote of things that they were obviously eyewitnesses to.

1 John 1:1-3 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, concerning the Word of life-- the life was manifested, and we have seen, and bear witness, and declare to you that eternal life which was with the Father and was manifested to us-- that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.

Another thing that they wrote about is things that human nature would normally ignore or minimize. For example, the Bible does not ignore things like Moses’ anger issues, David’s adultery, or Peter’s denial. Let’s face it; none of us normally tend toward posting our failures on Facebook, let alone in Scripture.

Blessings,
Dwayne

No comments:

Post a Comment