Thursday, February 4, 2021

Our New Director in Nicaragua

My name is Moises Rayo Garcia. When I was ten years old I worked as a car watcher for a pizza shop here in Esteli. I eventually ended up helping a lady with cleaning at her house, doing miscellaneous chores and washing cars at a nearby car lot. It was there that I met Mr. Luis, Mrs. Spearman's father. He offered me a job helping him. I did not have a father, so Mr. Luis and I became very close. I appreciated him helping me through my years of high school. He became a father figure to me. Sadly, when I was in my 11th year of school, Mr. Luis passed away in 2018. It was then that Mrs. Spearman offered me a position that required me to live and watch over her mother. Part of my new position required that I drive her mother around and I didn't have a license, so she paid paid my way through driving school, and I have been living in her home ever since. Through the Spearman's support, I finished high school, and am now a university student with only two years left in my degree in Political Science and International Relations. I have already completed an associates degree in Human Resources. 

This year has been very tough for everyone, Nicaragua is no exception. The Spearman's have offered me the opportunity to be the director of "Tejiendo Vidas International" which is a ministry that helps artisans throughout the world. She came to Nicaragua in December and trained me to be able to teach other artisans wire wrapping techniques. My job now is to find and train other students, so that we can help them finish their schooling like I did. Sadly, most students here in Nicaragua end up dropping out of school because of the economic situation here. I am grateful for the opportunity and especially the blessing of being able to help the youth in my country through this position.

No comments:

Post a Comment