Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dressing-Down God

I made the comment on my Facebook that in our effort to dress-down the church , we have dressed down God. That means that in our attempt to make God more approachable, we have in some ways brought him down to our own level. The old adage, "God created man in His own image and man returned the favor" can hold true here. I believe we as a church forget sometimes who He is and who we are not. Just as an example, most of us would dress better to stand in front of President Obama than we would in front of God. By the way, it wasn't that long ago that America was shocked that a women's lacrosse team would feel so comfortable as to walk into the White House to meet then President Bush adorning flip flops.

Unfortunately, this carries over into every part of our Christian experience. I saw a young man a while back with a T-Shirt that said, "Jesus is my Homeboy." I see that as very disrespectful and I don't think on the day of judgment that he or anyone for that matter will feel comfortable referring to God as their "homeboy".

No comments:

Post a Comment