Saturday, March 20, 2010

Given to Change, Part 1

I was working my way through the tiny book of Titus when I came upon this verse in Titus 1:9 which says, Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers. I began meditating on the phase holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught and it got me to thinking about change. Proverbs 24:21 says, My son, fear thou the LORD and the king: and meddle not with them that are given to change: As a matter of fact, the Bible speaks profusely about change and how that it is not always good.


The Bible also warns us against being so quick to withdraw ourselves from our past. II Thessalonians 2:15 says, Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle. Jeremiah 6:16 says, Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein. Unfortunately, as I reflect upon my nineteen years of ministry, we are a people who insist upon change.


I've come to the conclusion that we are too quick to want change today. Don't get me wrong. I certainly do not advocate that we return to the dark ages. I do enjoy being able to write these thoughts on a computer, in a climate controlled environment under the warm glow of incandescent lighting! No, I'm not talking about that kind of change. I'm talking about change when it comes to the things of God and the house of God. Now maybe I'm getting a little older and I've already been there, bought the T-Shirt and back again, but I've learned and observed a few things over the years that concern me.


As I reflect upon many of these changes, I simply do not see the fruit of them. The end result today is that the average church member is lost. George Barna concludes that six out of ten in the evangelical church in America is lost today. Dr. R. Albert Mohler is his studies of Southern Baptist life concludes that fifty percent of his denomination is not saved. I’m afraid that we have lost something in our rush to change things.

No comments:

Post a Comment